http://iet.metastore.ingenta.com
1887

An efficiency comparison between timeslicing and multi-carrier transmission for linearized transponders

An efficiency comparison between timeslicing and multi-carrier transmission for linearized transponders

For access to this article, please select a purchase option:

Buy chapter PDF
$16.00
(plus tax if applicable)
Buy Knowledge Pack
10 chapters for $120.00
(plus taxes if applicable)

IET members benefit from discounts to all IET publications and free access to E&T Magazine. If you are an IET member, log in to your account and the discounts will automatically be applied.

Learn more about IET membership 

Recommend Title Publication to library

You must fill out fields marked with: *

Librarian details
Name:*
Email:*
Your details
Name:*
Email:*
Department:*
Why are you recommending this title?
Select reason:
 
 
 
 
 
Advances in Communications Satellite Systems Proceedings of The 36th International Communications Satellite Systems Conference (ICSSC-2018) — Recommend this title to your library

Thank you

Your recommendation has been sent to your librarian.

Very high throughput satellites (HTS), where single transponders have large bandwidths (in the order of 500 MHz), significantly reduced the cost per Mbit for satellite communications, and are therefore omnipresent for applications like broadband, mobile and enterprise connectivity. An HTS transponder can amplify single or multiple carriers. Single carrier transmission is still the most efficient mode in a nonlinear channel due its lower peak-to-average power ratio. In order to avoid too complex and expensive receivers, the wide carrier (around 500 MHz) is chopped in time slices such that receivers can decode their part of the very wide carrier. This crosslayer technology, applied for single carrier transmission, may bring overhead in some cases, also leading to some inefficiencies. In this paper, we will introduce and explain timeslicing and present a holistic efficiency comparison between single carrier transmission with timeslicing and multi-carrier transmisson without timeslicing, with and without non-linear predistortion. We conclude that Newtec non-linear predistortion (present in Newtec Equalink) with single or multi-carrier transmission outperforms single carrier transmission without non-linear predistortion. In addition, the throughput gain of single carrier transmission with respect to dual (four) carrier transmission is around 6% (9%) for linearized channels, the nowadays standard. Adding Newtec Equalink on top of single carrier transmission yields a total gain around 15% and 20% over dual and four carrier transmission without non-linear predistortion, respectively.

Inspec keywords: wireless channels; transponders; decoding; radio receivers; satellite communication; radio transmitters

Other keywords: crosslayer technology; linearized transponders; satellite communications; nonlinear predistortion; single carrier transmission; four carrier transmission; nonlinear channel; very high throughput satellites; frequency 500.0 MHz; dual carrier transmission; HTS transponder; multicarrier transmisson; Newtec Equalink; timeslicing

Subjects: Codes; Satellite communication systems

Preview this chapter:
Zoom in
Zoomout

An efficiency comparison between timeslicing and multi-carrier transmission for linearized transponders, Page 1 of 2

| /docserver/preview/fulltext/books/te/pbte086e/PBTE086E_ch34-1.gif /docserver/preview/fulltext/books/te/pbte086e/PBTE086E_ch34-2.gif

Related content

content/books/10.1049/pbte086e_ch34
pub_keyword,iet_inspecKeyword,pub_concept
6
6
Loading
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address