FM radio based bistatic radar
An experimental bistatic radar system is described that detects and tracks targets to ranges in excess of 150 km from the receiver, using echoes from a non-cooperative FM radio transmitter. The system concept and limitations on performance are described, followed by details of the processing used to implement the system. An adaptive filter algorithm is described that is used to efficiently remove interference and strong clutter signals from the receiver channels. A computationally efficient algorithm for target detection using Doppler-sensitive cross-correlation techniques is described. A simple constant false alarm rate algorithm for target detection is described, together with a description of a Kalman filter based target association algorithm. Representative results from the system are provided and compared to truth data derived from air traffic control data.
- H.D. Griffiths , N.R.W. Long . Television based bistatic radar. IEE Proc. F, Commun. Radar Signal Process. , 7 , 649 - 657
- P.E. Howland . Target tracking using television-based bistatic radar. IEE Proc., Radar Sonar Navig. , 3 , 166 - 174
- Blyakman, A.B., Ryndyk, A.G., Sidorov, S.B.: `Forward scattering radar radar moving object coordinate measurement', IEEE Int. Radar Conf., May 2000, p. 678–682.
- H.D. Griffiths , C.J. Baker , H. Ghaleb , R. Ramakrishnan , E. Willman . Measurement and analysis of ambiguity functions of off-air signals for passive coherent location. Electron. Lett. , 1005 - 1007
- J.D. Sahr , F.D. Lind . Passive radio remote sensing of the atmosphere using transmitters of opportunity. Radio Sci. , 4 - 7
- S. Haykin . (1996) Adaptive filter theory.
- F.J. Harris . On the use of windows for harmonic analysis with the discrete fourier transform. Proc. IEEE , 51 - 83
- E.B. Hogenauer . An economical class of digital filters for decimation and interpolation. IEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech Signal Process. , 2 , 155 - 162
- A. Kwentus , Z. Jiang , A. Wilson . Application of filter sharpening to cascaded integrator-comb decimationfilter. IEEE Trans. Signal Process. , 2 , 457 - 467
- R. Nitzberg . (1999) Radar signal processing and adaptive systems.
- Y. Bar-Shalom , X.R. Li . (1995) Multitarget-multisensor tracking: principles and techniques.