Cellular over optical wireless networks
The development of optical wireless communication systems is accelerating as a cost-effective alternative to fibre optic links and wireless technologies. The optical wireless technology is used mostly in wide bandwidth data transmission applications. This technology can also be useful for cellular applications. The evolution of cellular networks, for increased coverage and capacity and for the evolution towards 3G, leads towards the necessity of increasing the number of base stations. The idea of using wireless optical links to implement additional base stations is introduced. A detailed analysis and measured results of optical wireless links utilised to transmit cellular signals are presented.
- I.I. Kim , R. Stiger , J.A. Koontz , C. Moursud , M. Barclay , P. Adhikari , J. Schuster , E. Korevaar , R. Ruigrok , C. Decusatis . Wireless optical transmission of fast Ethernet, FDDI, ATM, and ESCON protocol data using the TerreLink laser communication system. Opt. Eng , 12 , 3143 - 3155
- G. Einarsson . (1996) Principles of lightwave communications.
- M. Nazarathy , J. Berger , A.J. Ley , I.M. Levi , Y. Kagan . Progress in externally modulated AM CATV transmission systems. J. Lightwave Technol. , 1 , 82 - 105
- 1 onward link is available for this reference.
- J. Kaufmann . Analog link design. Proc. SPIE: Free Space Commun. Technol. , 38 - 49
- S.B. Alexander . (1997) Optical communication receiver design.
- J.M. Senior . (1992) Optical fiber communications: principles and practices.
- G. Agrawal . (1997) Fiber optic communication systems.
- K. Emura . Enabling technologies for SCM based optically fed wireless communication system. Opt. Quantum Electron , 1089 - 1101
- S. Huzinker , W. Baechtold . Cellular remote antenna feeding: optical fiber or coaxial cable. Electron. Lett. , 11 , 1038 - 1040