Observations of the directional characteristics of ionospherically propagated HF radio channel sounding signals over two high latitude paths
The author presents measurements of the directional characteristics of the Doppler and time delay components of a pulsed channel sounding signal received over two high latitude paths. A variation in bearing with Doppler frequency was frequently evident, an effect attributed to Doppler shifts imposed on the signal when scattered from ionospheric irregularities drifting across the reflection points. For a transauroral path, for which the ionospheric reflection points were subauroral, standard deviations of up to ~ 2.5° were observed in the azimuthal power distribution of the received energy. Much greater disturbances with azimuthal standard deviations of up to ~35° were recorded on signals received over a path contained entirely within the polar cap path.
- P.J.D. Gething . (1991) Radio direction finding and superresolution.
- E.M. Warrington , N.C. Rogers , T.B. Jones . Large HF bearing errors for propagationpaths contained within the polar cap. IEE Proc.–Microw., Antennas Propag. , 4 , 241 - 249
- N.C. Rogers , E.M. Warrington , T.B. Jones . Large HF bearing errors for propagationpaths tangential to the auroral oval. IEE Proc.–Microw., Antennas Propag. , 2 , 91 - 96
- Davies, N.C., Cannon, P.S.: `DAMSON – A system to measure multipath dispersion,Doppler spread and Doppler shift on a multi-mechanism communications channel', Proceedings of AGARD EPP Symposium on Multiple Mechanism PropagationPaths: TheirCharacterisation and Influence on System Design, October 1993, Rotterdam, p. 36/1–6.
- R.H. Holzworth , C.-I. Meng . Mathematical representation of the auroral oval. Geophys. Res. Lett. , 9 , 377 - 380
- Jones, T.B., Thomas, E.C.: `CUTLASS: A new HF auroral radar', Proceedings of theIEE Seventh International Conference on HF Radio Systems and Techniques, July 1997, p. 325–329IEE Conf.Publ. 441, .
- E.M. Warrington . Measurements of the direction of arrival of HF sky wave signals by meansofa wide aperture antenna array and two super-resolution direction finding algorithms. IEEProc.–Microw. Antennas Propag. , 2 , 136 - 144
- Mather, J.: `The incremental multi-parameter algorithm', Asilomar conference on circuits,systems and computers, 1990, 1, Maple Press, San Jose, CA, USA, Monterey, p. 368–3721991, .
- Zatman, M., Strangeways, H.J., Warrington, E.M.: `Resolution of multimoded HFtransmissions using the DOSE superresolution direction finding algorithm', Proceedings ofthe IEE Eighth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1993, p. 415–418IEE Conf.Publ. 370, .
- M. Lockwood . Modelling the high latitude ionosphere for time varying plasma convection. IEE Proc. H , 2 , 91 - 100
- E.M. Warrington , T.B. Jones , B.S. Dhanda . Observations of the Doppler spread on HFsignals propagating over high latitude paths. IEE Proc.–Microw. AntennasPropag. , 4 , 215 - 220