Carrier–carrier scattering effects in InGaAs–GaAs strained layer lasers
The authors have calculated the gain-current characteristics of a 70 A In0.2Ga0.8As—GaAs strained layer quantum well laser assuming strict k-selection and including spectral broadening due to carrier–carrier interactions at high carrier densities. The broadening lifetime, which is dependent upon energy and carrier density, has been calculated from first principles using an intraband Auger-type process. The effect of both electron–electron and hole-hole scattering has been included in the calculation of this lifetime. The paper compares the effect on the gain-current characteristics of the energy dependent lifetime and of a constant lifetime of 10−13 s used typically in other calculations.
- P. Blood , S. Colak , A.I. Kucharska . Influence of broadening and high injection effects on GaAs-AlGaAs quantum well lasers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 8 , 1593 - 1604
- P. Blood , A.I. Kucharsha , J.P. Jacobs , K. Griffiths . Measurement and calculations of spontaneous recombination current and optical gain in GaAs-AlGaAs quantum well structures. J. Appl. Phys. , 3 , 1144 - 1156
- S.H. Pan , H. Shen , Z. Hang , F.H. Pollack , W. Zhuang , Q. Xu , A.P. Roth , R.A. Masut , C. Lacelle , D. Morris . Photoreflectance study of narrow-well strained layer InGaAs-GaAs coupled multiple-quantum-well structures. Phys. Rev. B , 5 , 3375 - 3382
- E.P. O'Reilly , G.P. Witchlow . Theory of the hole sub-band dispersion in strained and unstrained quantum wells. Phys. Rev. B , 8 , 6030 - 6033
- E.O. Kane . Thomas-Fermi approach to impure semiconductor band structure. Phys. Rev. , 79 - 88
- HAMILTON, R.A.H.: Private communication.
- A.I. Kucharska , D.J. Robbins . Lifetime broadening in GaAs-AlGaAs quantum well lasers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 3 , 443 - 448
- M. Asada . Intraband relaxation time in quantum well lasers. IEEE J. Quant. Electron. , 9 , 2019 - 2026
- P.W.A. McIlroy , A. Kurobe , Y. Vematsu . Analysis and application of theoretical gain curves to the design of MQW lasers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 1958 - 1963