Analysis of spontaneous emission and noise in self-pulsing laser diodes
A theoretical model for spontaneous emission in self-pulsing semiconductor lasers is proposed and an analytical expression given for the excess noise factor. Statistical properties of emitted light pulses due to spontaneous noise are studied numerically and pump current conditions for optimal pulse stability are defined. The model proposed its applicable to the analysis of fluctuation properties of self-pulsing lasers at frequencies near pulsation repetition frequency.
- Barnsley, P.E., Wickens, G.E., Wickes, H.D., Spirit, D.M.: `All-optical clock recovery at 5 GBit/s using a two-contact semiconductor self-pulsing laser amplifier', paper PD6, Proceedings of OSA Top. Meeting on Opt. amplifier applications, July 1991, Snowmass.
- A. Galvanauskas , J.A. Tellefsen , A. Krotkus , M. Öberg , B. Broberg . Real time picosecond electro-optical oscilloscope technique using a tunable semiconductor laser. Appl. Phys. Lett. , 145 - 148
- J. Ohua , G. Tohmon , K. Yamamoto , T. Taniuchi , M. Kume . Picosecond blue light pulse generation by frequency doubling of a gain-switched GaAlAs laser diode with saturable absorbers. Appl. Phys. Lett. , 2270 - 2272
- Y. Simler , J. Gamelin , S. Wang . Pulsation stabilization and enhancement in self-pulsing laser diodes. IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. , 329 - 332
- S. Ovadia , K.Y. Lau . Low-frequency relative intensity noise in self-pulsing ridge-waveguide quantum well lasers. IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. , 336 - 337
- M. Kuznetzov . Pulsations of a semiconductor laser with a proton-bombarded segment: well-developed pulsations. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 587 - 592
- Portnoi, E.L., Avrutin, E.A., Chelnokov, A.V.: `Nonlinear effects in picosecond high-power diode lasers', Proceedings of Joint Soviet-American Workshop on the Physics of semiconductor lasers, 1991, Leningrad, USSR, p. 58–67.
- Adams, M.J., Barnsley, P.E.: `Two-section laser theory: beyond the rate equations', paper 1, Presented at Semiconductor and integrated optoelectronics (SIOE'92) Conference, 29 March–1 April 1992, Cardiff, Wales.
- M.J. Adams . Theory of two-section laser amplifiers. Opt. Quantum Electron. , S15 - S31
- N. Schunk , K. Petermann . Noise analysis of injection-locked semiconductor injection lasers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 642 - 650
- G.H.B. Thompson . (1980) , Physics of semiconductor laser devices.
- K. Ujihara . Phase noise in a laser with output coupling. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 814 - 818
- R. Yuan , H.J. Taylore . Noise statistics in repetitively pulsed semiconductor lasers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 109 - 117
- A. Weber , W. Ronghan , E.H. Bötcher , M. Schell , D. Bimberg . Measurement and simulation of the turn-on delay time jitter in gain-switched semiconductor lasers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. , 441 - 447