Electromagnetic scattering by a uniaxially anisotropic sphere
The problem of electromagnetic scattering by a uniaxially anisotropic sphere is studied for both dielectric and absorbing cases. The fields of the TM ro ř wave inside a uniaxial sphere can be derived to be expressed in series of Bessel functions, as in the isotropic case, but with the order of function determined by the anisotropic ratio (AR = εθ/εr). For the TE to ř wave, the uniaxial medium can be treated as an isotropic material characterised by εθ only, which is the permittivity parallel to the boundary surface of the medium. Wave propagation is not affected by the f directed permittivity. The effects of uniaxial anisotropy on the radar cross section (RCS) are also considered. It is found that the uniaxial anisotropy greatly influences the scattering behaviour of a spherical dielectric object. For an absorbing sphere, however, the uniaxial anisotropy no longer plays a significant role as in a dielectric sphere, and the dependance of the RCS on uniaxial anisotropy is found to be predictable. Details of theoretical treatment and numerical results are presented.
- N.G. Alexopoulos . Integrated-circuit structures on anisotropic substrate. IEEE Trans. , 847 - 881
- D.M. Pozar . Radiation and scattering from a microstrip patch on a uniaxial substrate. IEEE Trans. , 613 - 621
- M.A. Morgan , D.L. Fisher , E.A. Milne . Electromagnetic scattering by stratified inhomogeneous anisotropic media. IEEE Trans. , 191 - 197
- J.B. Titchener , J.R. Willis . The reflection of electromagnetic waves from stratified anisotropic media. IEEE Trans. , 35 - 39
- N.G. Alexopoulos , S.A. Maas . Characteristics of microstrip directional couplers on anisotropic substrates. IEEE Trans. , 1267 - 1270
- A.M. Hasan , P.L.E. Uslenghi . Electromagnetic scattering from nonlinear anisotropic cylinders. Pa# I: fundamental frequency. IEEE Trans. , 523 - 533
- J.C. Monzon . Three-dimensional scattering by an infinite homogeneous anisotropic circular a spectral approach. IEEE Trans. , 670 - 682
- J.C. Monzon , N.J. Damaskos . Two-dimensional scattering by a homogeneous anisotropic rod. IEEE Trans. , 1243 - 1249
- J.C. Palais . Scattering from a gyrotropic cylinder. IEEE Trans. , 505 - 506
- S.N. Sam Add Ar . Scattering of plane waves from an infinitely long cylinder of anisotropic materials at oblique incidence with an application to an electronic scanning antenna. Appl. Sci. Res. B , 385 - 411
- R.F. Harrington . (1961) , Time-harmonic electromagnetic fields.
- M. Kerker . (1969) , The scattering of light and other electromagnetic radiation.