Range estimation for SSL HFDF systems by means of a multiquasiparabolic ionospheric model
This paper describes a computationally simple multiquasiparabolic (MQP) model which is largely defined in terms of standard scaled ionospheric parameters. The model gives analytic expressions for ground range estimation. Its results compare favourably with those obtained using numerical ray-tracing through a Dudeney ionosphere. In its present form the MQP model is suitable for use in operational single site location HF direction finding systems at geomagnetic mid-latitudes.
- J.D. Milsom . Exact ray path calculations in a modified Bradley/Dudeney model ionosphere. IEE Proc. H, Microwaves Antenna & Propag. , 33 - 38
- T.A. Croft , H. Hoogasian . Exact ray calculations in a quasiparabolic ionosphere with no magnetic field. Radio Sci. , 69 - 74
- P.A. Bradley , J.R. Dudeney . A simple model of the vertical distribution of electron concentration in the ionosphere. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. , 2131 - 2146
- J.R. Dudeney . An improved model of the variation of electron concentration with height in the ionosphere. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. , 195 - 203
- J.R. Dudeney , R.I. Kressman . Empirical models of the electron concentration of the ionosphere and their value for radio communications purposes. Radio Sci. , 319 - 330
- Jones, R.M., Stephenson, J.J.: `A versatile threedimensional ray tracing computer program for radio waves in the ionosphere', 75–76, Report, October 1975.
- D.C. Baker , S. Lambert . Multiparabolic ionospheric model for SSL application. Electron. Lett. , 425 - 426
- P.L. Dyson , J.A. Bennett . A model of the vertical distribution of the electron concentration in the ionosphere and its application to oblique propagation studies. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. , 251 - 262
- Teters, L.R., Lloyd, J.L., Haydon, G.W., Lucas, D.L.: `Estimating the performance of telecommunication systems using the ionospheric transmission channel — ionospheric communications analysis and prediction program — user's manual', 83–127, NTIA Report, 1983.
- : Report UAG-82, November 1981, International Reference Ionosphere — IRI 79, World Data Center A for Solar Terrestrial Physics.
- Titheridge, J.E.: `Ionogram analysis with the generalised program POLAN', Report UAG-93, December 1985, World Data Center A for Solar-Terrestrial Physics.
- H.G. Booker . Fitting of multi-region ionospheric profiles of electron density by a single analytic function of height. J. Atmos. Terr Phys. , 619 - 623