Linear FMCW radar techniques
Frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) radar uses a very low probability of intercept waveform, which is also well suited to make good use of simple solid-state transmitters. FMCW is finding applications in such diverse fields as naval tactical navigation radars, smart ammunition sensors and automotive radars. The paper discusses some features of FMCW radar which are not dealt with in much detail in the generally available literature. In particular, it discusses the effects of noise reflected back from the transmitter to the receiver and the application of moving target indication to FMCW radars. Some of the strengths and weaknesses of FMCW radar are considered. The paper describes how the strengths are utilised in some systems and how the weaknesses can be mitigated. It also discusses a modern implementation of a reflected power canceller, which can be used to suppress the leakage between the transmitter and the receiver, a well known problem with continous wave radars.
- D.G.C. Luck . (1949) , Frequency modulated radar.
- J.W. Cooley , J.W. Tukey . An algorithm for the machine calculation of Fourier series. Math. Comput. , 297 - 301
- K.L. Fuller . To see and not be seen. IEE Proc. F, Comun., Radar & Signal Process. , 1 - 10
- H.D. Griffths . New ideas in FM radar. Electron. Commun. Eng. J. , 5 , 185 - 194
- M.I. Skolnik . (1980) , Introduction to radar systems.
- P.M. Smith , P.C. Chao , J.M. Ballingall , A.W. Swanson . Microwave and mm-wave power amplification using pseudomorphic HEMTs. Microwave J. , 71 - 86
- Stove, A.G., Beasley, P.D.L., Reits, B.J., Ås, B.O.: `Das PILOT radar', Proc. MIOP '90 conference, 1990, p. 318–323.
- A.G. Stove . Obstacle detection radar for cars. Electron.Commun. Eng. J. , 5 , 232 - 240
- F.J. O'Hara , G.M. Moore . A high performance CW receiver using feedthru nulling. Microwave J. , 63 - 71
- Beasley, P.D.L., Stove, A.G., Ås, B.-O., Reits, B.J.: `Solving the problems of a single antenna frequency modulated CW radar', Proc. IEEE international radar Conf., radar 90, p. 391–395.
- M.I. Skolnik . (1970) , Radar handbook.
- M.L. Skolnik . (1970) , Radar handbook.