New active power filter and control method
A new active power filter with harmonic suppression and adjustable reactive power compensation is proposed. The power converter of the proposed filter can generate a compensating voltage, including a harmonic voltage for compensating the load harmonic current and a fundamental voltage for adjusting the reactive power of the utility side, connected to the power feeder via an impedance. The waveform of the utility current after compensating by the proposed active power filter can be approximated as a sinusoidal waveform, and the input power factor is also improved. A 20 KVA prototype has been developed and tested to verify its performance. The test results indicate that the proposed active power filter has the desired performance.
- R.D. Henderson , P.J. Rose . Harmonics: the effects on power quality and transformers. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. , 528 - 532
- C.J. Wu , J.C. Chiang , S.S. Yen , C.J. Liao , J.S. Yang , T.Y. Guo . Investigation and mitigation of harmonic amplification problems caused by singleuned filters. IEEE Trans. Power Deliv. , 800 - 806
- S.J. Chiang , W.J. Ai , F.J. Lin . Parallel operation of capacity-limited three-phase four-wire active power filters. IEE Proc.-Electr. Power Appl. , 5 , 329 - 336
- J.C. Wu , H.L. Jou . A simplified control method for single-phase active power filter. IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl. , 3 , 219 - 224
- H. Akagi . Trends in active power line conditioners. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. , 3 , 263 - 268
- Abellan, A., Benavent, J.M., Garcera, G.: `A new control method for obtaining reference currents of shunt active power filters in unbalanced and non-sinusoidal conditions', Proc. IEEE ISIE Conf., 1999, p. 831–836.
- B. Singh , K. Al-Haddad , A. Chandra . A new control approach to three-phase active power filter for harmonics and reactive power compensation. IEEE Trans. Power System , 1 , 133 - 138
- J.C. Wu , S.J. Huang . Design and operations of cascaded active power filters for the reduction of harmonic distortion in a power system. IEE Proc. Gener. Transm. Distrib. , 2 , 193 - 199
- Kawabata, T., Komatsu, Y.: `Characteristics of three phase active power filter using extension pq theory', Proc. IEEE ISIE, Conf., 1997, p. 302–307.
- Yang, J., Wang, Y., Wang, Z.: `A DSP controlled hybrid power filter used to compensate the harmonics and reactive power caused by electrical traction loads', Proc. IEEE PESC Conf., 2003, p. 1615–1620.
- H. Fujita , H. Akagi . A practical approach to harmonic compensation in power system, series connection of passive and active filters. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. , 1020 - 1025
- Dixon, J., Espinoza, J., Moran, L., Rivas, D.: `A simple control scheme for hybrid active power filter', Proc. IEEE PESC Conf., 2000, p. 991–996.
- Rahmani, S., Al-Haddad, K.A., Fnaiech, F.: `A new control technique based on the instantaneous active current applied to shunt hybrid power filters', Proc. IEEE PESC Conf., 2003, p. 808–813.
- M. EI-Habrouk , M.K. Darwish , P. Mehta . Active power filters: a review. IEE Proc., Electr. Power Appl. , 5 , 403 - 412
- N. Mohan , T.M. Undeland , W.P. Robbins . (1995) Power electronics converters, applications and design.