Loss-of-mains detection for small generators
A new loss-of-mains detection method for use with very small generators is proposed. A known load is repeatedly switched on to the supply, and the resulting voltage changes used to estimate the source impedance, and hence to detect loss of mains. Correlating the load switching with the voltage change prevents false operation arising from random load changes. Experiments and simulations are discussed which demonstrate the principles of the technique. Test results are presented which show that the technique operates correctly, and can reliably detect a loss of mains without being susceptible to false tripping.
- EA Technol. Dev., 1994, issue 10 (EA Technology, Chester).
- Electr. Rev., 28 October - 10 November 1994, p. 5.
- R. Winstanley . A Stirling effort. Build. Serv. , 8 , 43 - 44
- Lane, N.W., Berchowitz, D.M., Shade, D., Karandikar, A.: `Development of a highfrequency Stirling engine-powered 3 kW(e) generator set', Proceedings of the 24th Intersociety Energy Conversion EngineeringConference, 1989, p. 2213–2218.
- Carlqvist, S.G., Schroder, C., Clementz, L.: `Hermetically sealed Stirling-electricgenerator set', Proceedings of the 23rd Intersociety Energy Conversion EngineeringConference, 1988, p. 187–192.
- ‘Recommendations for the connection of embedded generatingplant to the regional electricity companies'distribution systems.’ Engineering recommendation G59/1, The Electricity Association, London, 1991.
- ‘Notes for guidance for the protection of privategenerating sets up to 5 MW for operation in parallel withelectricity boards' distribution systems.’ Engineering Technical Report ETR113, The Electricity Association, London, 1989.
- Electricity supply regulations, 1988, Statutory instrumentNo. 1057.
- Warin, J.W.: `Loss of mains protection', ERA 90-0001, ERA Conference on Circuit protection for industrial andcommercial installations, 1990, p. 4/3/1–12.
- M.A. Redfern , O. Usta , G. Fielding , E.P. Walker . Power based algorithm to provideloss of grid protection for embedded generation. IEE Proc., Gener. Trans. Distrib. , 6 , 640 - 646
- Cooper, C.B.: `Standby generation, problems and prospective gains from parallelrunning', Keynote address, International Power System Protection '89,Power system protection conference, 1989, Singapore PolytechnicSingapore.
- BS5406: 1988 ‘Disturbances in supply systems causedby household appliances and similarequipment’, British Standards Institution.
- ‘Planning limits for voltage fluctuations caused byindustrial, commercial and domestic equipment in the United Kingdom.’ Engineering Recommendation P28, TheElectricity Council, London, 1989.
- BS EN 60868: 1993 ‘Flickermeter- functional and designspecifications,’ British Standards Institution, 1993.
- Hopewell, P.D.: `The integration of small scale generation with the distributionsystem', 1995, PhD thesis, UMIST.