Efficient entry-reduction algorithm for TCAM-based IP forwarding engine
Ternary content-addressable memory has been widely used to perform fast routing lookups. It is able to accomplish the best matching prefix searching in O(1) time without considering the number of prefixes and their lengths. As compared to the software-based solutions, the ternary content-addressable memory can offer sustained throughput and simple system architecture. However, it also comes with several shortcomings, such as the limited number of entries, enormous cost and power consumption. Accordingly, an efficient algorithm is proposed to reduce the required size of ternary content-addressable memory. The proposed scheme can eliminate 98% of ternary content-addressable memory entries by adding comparatively little DRAM and, thus, is attractive for IPv6 routing lookup.
- Rekhter, Y., Li, T.: ‘An architecture for IP address allocation with CIDR’, RFC 1518, Sept. 1993.
- Degermark, M., Brodnik, A., Carlsson, S., Pink, S.: `Small forwarding tables for fast routing lookups', Proc. ACM SIGCOMM’ 97, Sept. 1997, Cannes, France, p. 3–14.
- Gupta, P., Lin, S., McKeown, N.: `Routing lookups in hardware at memory access speeds', Proc. IEEE INFOCOM’98, March 1998, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- P.-C. Wang , C.-T. Chan , Y.-C. Chen . A fast IP lookup scheme for high-speed networks. IEEE Commun. Lett. , 3 , 125 - 127
- S. Nilsson , G. Karlsson . IP-address lookup using LC-tries. IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. , 6 , 1083 - 1092
- Waldvogel, M., Varghese, G., Turner, J., Plattner, B.: `Scalable high speed IP routing lookups', Proc. ACM SIGCOMM ’97, Sept. 1997, Cannes, France, p. 25–36.
- B. Lampson , V. Srinivasan , G. Varghese . IP lookups using multiway and multicolumn search. IEEE/ACM Trans. Netw. , 4 , 324 - 334
- D. Shah , P. Gupta . Fast updating algorithms for TCAMs. IEEE Micro , 1 , 36 - 47
- V. Srinivasan , G. Varghese . Fast IP lookups using controlled prefix expansion. ACM Trans. Comput. , 1 , 1 - 40
- P.-C. Wang , C.-T. Chan , Y.-C. Chen . Performance enhancement of IP forwarding by reducing routing table construction time. IEEE Commun. Lett. , 5 , 230 - 232
- R. Haas , L. Kencl , A. Kind , B. Metzler , R. Pletka , M. Waldvogel , L. Frelechoux , P. Droz , C. Jeffries . Creating advanced functions on network processors: experience and perspectives. IEEE Netw. , 4 , 46 - 54
- Merit Networks, Inc. Internet performance measurement and analysis (IPMA) statistics and daily reports. See http://www.merit.edu/ipma/routingtable.
- NLANR Project. See http://moat.nlanr.net/.