Low loss mode size converter from 0.3 µm square Si wire waveguides to singlemode fibres
A novel integrated mode size converter for single-mode Si wire waveguides is presented. The mode size converter is constructed with two-dimensional tapered Si waveguides and overlaid high-index polymer waveguides. We calculated the proposed mode size converter characteristics, and fabricated 1.09 mm length Si wire waveguides with the converters. The measured loss of the mode size converter was 0.8 dB per conversion, and the total insertion loss through the sample with an Si wire waveguide was 3.5 dB.
- Sakai, A., Hara, G., Baba, T.: `Propagation characteristics of ultrahigh-Δ optical waveguide on silicon-on-insulator substrate', Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 2001, 40
- Taillaert, D., Bogaerts, W., Bienstman, P., Zutter, D.D., Baets, R.: `Design of an out-plane coupler for efficient butt-coupling from photonic crystal waveguides to single-mode fibers', Presented at the 3rd Workshop on Photonic and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures (PECS3), 2001, St. Andrews, Scotland
- Shanai, Y., Henry, C.H., Kistler, R.C., Orowsky, K.J., Ackerman, D.A.: `Efficient coupling of a semiconductor laser to an optical fiber by means of a tapered waveguide on silicon', Appl. Phys. Lett., 1989, 55 (23)
- Lee, K.K., Lim, D.R., Luan, H.-C., Agarwal, A., Foresi, J., Kimerling, L.C.: `Effect of size and roughness on light transmission in Si/SiO2 waveguide: Experiment and model', Appl. Phys. Lett., 2000, 77 (11)
- 1 onward links are available for this reference.