Tapers in single-mode optical fibre by controlled core diffusion
A method of obtaining tapered single mode fibre cores by controlled thermal diffusion of the dopant is described. The mechanical fibre dimensions are maintained during this process. Extended tapers have been produced, which show an increased tolerance to longitudinal and transverse offsets. Such tapers will prove useful for a range of optical fibre components.
- K. Jedrzejewski , F. Martinez , J.D. Minelly , C.D. Hussey , F.P. Payne . Tapered-beam expander for single-mode optical-fibre gap devices. Electron. Lett. , 105 - 106
- N. Amitay , H.M. Presby , F.V. Dimarcello , K.T. Nelson . Single-mode optical fibre tapers for self-aligned beam expansion. Electron. Lett. , 702 - 703
- Papuchon, M., Bourbin, Y., Kayoun, P.: `Method of coupling between single-mode optical fibres', 82401668.7, 14 September 1982, European Patent Application.
- J. Crank . (1956) , The mathematics of diffusion.
- W. Hermann , A. Raith , H. Rau . Diffusion of fluorine in silica. BER Bunsen-Gesellschaft Phys. Chem.
- J. Krause , W.A. Reed , K.L. Walker . Splice loss of a single mode fibre as related to fusion time, temperature and index profile alteration. J. Lightwave Technol. , 7
- C.P. Botham . Theory of tapering single-mode optical fibres by controlled core diffusion. Electron. Lett. , 4 , 243 - 245
- D. Marcuse . Loss analysis of single-mode fibre splices. Bell Syst. Tech. J.