Microlens tipped on a single-mode fibre end for InGaAsP laser coupling improvement
A new fabrication method for a hemispherical microlens on optical fibre ends is proposed, to achieve high coupling efficiency between an InGaAsP laser with a buried heterostructure geometry and a single-mode fibre. The microlens is fabricated by attaching silica glass to the fibre end, which is then heated to form the desired shape by electric discharge. The lowest coupling loss of 2.9 dB has been achieved by selecting the optimum lens radius at 8.5 μm. Effects of misalignment are also reported.
- T. Kimura , K. Daikoku . A proposal fibre transmission systems in a low-loss 1.0–1.4 μm wavelength region. Opt. & Quantum Electron. , 33 - 42
- J. Yamada , S. Machida , T. Kimura , H. Takata . Dispersion free single-mode fibre transmission experiments up to 1.6 Gbit/s. Electron. Lett. , 278 - 279
- J. Yamada , S. Machida , T. Mukai , T. Kimura . 800 Mbit/s optical transmission experiments with dispersion free fibres at 1.5 μm. Electron. Lett. , 115 - 117
- T. Miya , Y. Terunuma , T. Hosaka , T. Miyashita . Ultimate low-loss single-mode fibre at 1.55 μm. Electron. Lett. , 106 - 108
- E. Weidel . New coupling method for GaAs-laser-fibre coupling. Electron. Lett. , 436 - 437
- L.G. Cohen , M.V. Schneider . Microlenses for coupling junction lasers to optical fibres. Appl. Opt. , 89 - 94
- E. Weidel . Light coupling from a junction laser into a monomode fibre with a glass cylindrical lens on the fibre end. Opt. Commun. , 93 - 97
- Khoe, G.D.: `New coupling techniques for single-mode optical fibre transmission systems', 6.1, Technical Digest of the Optical Communication Conference, September 1979, Amsterdam.
- M. Saruwatari , K. Nawata . Semiconductor laser to single-mode fibre coupler. Appl. Opt. , 1847 - 1856
- Sakai, J.: `Microlens design for coupling between semiconductor laser and single-mode optical fiber', OQE79-112, Papers of the Technical group of the IECE, 1979, Japan, (in Japanese).