Discrete radiation from curved single-mode fibres
The energy loss and field distribution in a curved single-mode fibre are calculated in terms of the coupling between the fundamental (LP01) mode and the radiation field. In agreement with recent experimental results, it is found that, initially, light travels in a zigzag path around the bend, and radiation is emitted in discrete beams.
- D. Marcuse . Field deformation and loss caused by curvature of optical fibers. J. Opt. Soc. Am. , 311 - 320
- M. Miyagi , C.L. Yip . Field deformation and polarization change in a step-index optical fibre due to bending. Opt. Quantum Electron. , 335 - 341
- W.A. Gambling , D.N. Payne , H. Matsumura . Radiation from curved single-mode fibres. Electron. Lett. , 567 - 569
- E.-G. Neumann , H.-D. Rudolph . Radiation from bends in dielectric rod transmission lines. IEEE Trans. , 142 - 149
- Gambling, W.A., Payne, D.N., Matsumura, H.: `Propagation in curved multimode cladded fibres', AGARD symposium on electromagnetic wave propagation involving irregular surfaces and inhomogeneous media, 1974, The Hague.
- R.A. Abram , G.J. Rees . Mode conversion in an imperfect waveguide. J. Phys. A. , 1693 - 1708
- R.A. Sammut , A.W. Snyder . Leaky modes on a dielectric waveguide: orthogonality and excitation. Appl. Opt. , 2953 , 1040 - 1044
- R.A. Sammut . A comparison of leaky-mode and leaky-ray analyses of circular optical fibers. J. Opt. Soc. Am. , 370 - 371
- M. Miyagi , G.L. Yip . Mode conversion and radiation losses in a step-index optical fiber due to bending. Opt. Quantum Electron. , 51 - 60