Mode transit times in near-parabolic-index optical fibres
Calculations are presented of the transit times of guided and tunnelling rays in graded-index optical fibres. It is shown that 25% of the power launched by an incoherent source into a parabolic-index fibre is carried by leaky rays, which may increase the r.m.s. width of the impulse response by up to 41%. The profile which most effectively equalises the combined transit times of both guided and tunnelling rays is given by α=2−4δ
- M.J. Adams , D.N. Payne , F.M.E. Sladen . Leaky rays on optical fibres of arbitrary (circularly symmetric) index profiles. Electron. Lett. , 238 - 240
- A.W. Snyder . Leaky-ray theory of optical waveguides of circular cross-section. Appl. Phys. , 273 - 298
- D. Gloge , E.A.J. Marcatili . Multimode theory of graded-core fibres. Bell syst. Tech. J. , 1563 - 1578
- C. Pask , A.W. Snyder , D.J. Mitchell . Number of modes on optical waveguides. J. Opt. Soc. Am. , 356 - 357
- S. Geckeler . Dispersion in optical waveguides with graded refractive index. Electron. Lett. , 139 - 140
- Stewart, W.J.: `A new technique for determining the ', Conference on optical fiber transmission, 1975, Williamsburg USA.