Gaussian beam as a bundle of complex rays
It is observed that the function G(P)=eikr/r, where r is the distance from the observation point P to a fixed point having a complex location, represents the field of a Gaussian beam. This can be used to justify, without further computation, the application of formulas of ordinary optics to the transformation of beams through optical systems. It can also be used to solve very simply some problems of diffraction and scattering of Gaussian beams.
- G. Goubau , F. Schwering . On the guided propagation of electromagnetic wave beams. IRE Trans. , 248 - 256
- A.G. Fox , T. Li . Resonant modes in a maser interferometer. Bell Syst. Tech. J. , 453 - 488
- G.D. Boyd , H. Kogelnik . Generalized confocal resonator theory. Bell Syst. Tech. J. , 1347 - 1369
- G.A. Deschamps , P.E. Mast . (1964) Beam tracing and applications, Proceedings of the symposium on quasioptics.
- S.A. Collins . Analysis of optical resonators involving focussing elements. Appl. Opt. , 1263 - 1275
- H. Kogelnik . On the propagation of Gaussian beams of light through lenslike media including those with a loss or gain variation. Appl. Opt. , 1562 - 1569
- J.A. Arnaud , H. Kogelnik . Gaussian light-beams with general astigmatism. Appl. Opt. , 1687 - 1693
- Keller , B. Joseph , W. Streiffer . Complex rays with an application to Gaussian beams. J. Opt. Soc. Am. , 40 - 43
- Deschamps, G.A.: `Matrix methods in geometrical optics', 1967 fall meeting of URSI, University of Michigan, p. 84, of abstract.
- Deschamps, G.A.: `Beam optics and complex rays', URSI symposium on electromagnetic waves, June 1968, Stresa.
- Gowan, E., Deschamps, G.A.: `Quasi-optical approaches to the diffraction and scattering of Gaussian beams', 70-5, Antenna Laboratory report, .