Lg=100 nm InAs PHEMTs on InP substrate with record high frequency response
A report is presented on 100 nm and 200 nm InAs PHEMTs on an InP substrate with a record fT performance. This result was obtained by reducing a parasitic delay associated with the extrinsic gate capacitances of the device, as well as by using an InAs sub-channel to improve carrier transport properties. In particular, a 100 nm InAs PHEMT exhibits excellent performance, such as gm,max=2 S/mm, fT=421 GHz and fmax=620 GHz at VDS=0.7 V. The device also shows a well-balanced fT and fmax in excess of 400 GHz, even at VDS=0.5 V. In addition, the device gains about 70 % improvement in fT as Lg shrinks down from 200 to 100 nm. The results obtained in this work should make this technology of great interest to a multiplicity of applications and guide a realistic path in trying to achieve a 1 THz fT from III-V HEMTs in the future.
- D.-H. Kim , J.A. del Alamo . 30-nm InAs psedomorphic HEMTs on an InP substrate with a current-gain cutoff frequency of 628 GHz. IEEE Electron Device Lett. , 8 , 830 - 833
- R. Lai , X.B. Mei , W.R. Deal , W. Yoshida , Y.M. Kim , P.H. Liu , J. Lee , J. Uyeda , V. Radisic , M. Lange , T. Gaier , L. Samoska , A. Fung . (2007) Sub 50 nm InP HEMT device with f.
- D.-H. Kim , B. Brar , J.A. del Alamo . (2011) f, Int. Electron Devices Meeting, (IEDM).
- T.-W. Kim , D.-H. Kim , S.D. Park , S.H. Shin , G.Y. Yeom , J.H. Jang , J.-I. Song . (2008) Enhancement-mode 130 nm InAs p-HEMTs having f, IEEE Device Research Conf..
- A. Endoh , Y. Yamashita , K. Shinohara , K. Hikosaka , T. Matsui , S. Hiyamizu , T. Mimura . InP-based high electron mobility transistors with very short gate-channel distance. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. , 2214 - 2218
- H.K. Gummel . On the definition of the cutoff frequency fT,. Proc. IEEE , 12
- H. Matsuzaki , T. Maruyama , T. Kosugi , H. Takahashi , M. Tokumitsu , T. Enoki . (2005) Laterally scaled down tiered-edge ohmic structure of InP-based HEMTs for 2-S/mm g, Int. Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM).
- S.-J. Yeon , M.-H. Park , J. Choi , K.-S. Seo . (2007) 610 GHz InAlAs/In, Int. Electron Devices Meeting, (IEDM).
- Y. Yamashita , A. Endoh , K. Shinohara , K. Hikosaka , T. Matsui , S. Hiyamizu , T. Mimura . Pseudomorphic In0.52Al0.48As/In0.7Ga0.3As HEMTs with an ultrahigh fT of 562 GHz. IEEE Electron Device Lett. , 10 , 573 - 575
- A. Leuther , A. Tessmann , H. Massier , R. Losch , M. Schlechtweg , M. Mikulla , O. Ambacher . (2008) 35 nm metamorphic HEMT MMIC Technology, Int. Conf. on Indium Phosphide and Related Materials (IPRM).