High-power single-chip InGaN blue light-emitting diode with 3.3 W output power
The characteristics of a high-power single-chip blue light-emitting diode (LED) operating with >10 W input power are reported. The LED chip was fabricated in the form of a vertical-injection structure with chip dimensions of 1.8×1.8 mm. Electrode patterns at the n-GaN surface were designed to optimise the output power and operation voltage. Electrical and optical characteristics of the LED were measured up to 3 A injection current under pulsed operation condition. Output power and forward voltage at 3 A were obtained to be 3.3 W and 3.67 V, respectively, which demonstrates the wall-plug efficiency of >30% with 10 W input power. Even higher output power and efficiency are expected from the single-chip LED by reducing the efficiency droop of InGaN-based LEDs.
- E.F. Schubert , J.K. Kim . Solid-state light sources getting smart. Science , 1274 - 1278
- G. Chen , M. Craven , A. Kim , A. Munkholm , S. Watanabe , M. Camras , W. Götz , F. Steranka . Performance of high-power III-nitride light emitting diodes. Phys. Status Solidi A , 5 , 1086 - 1092
- M.H. Crawford . LEDs for solid-state lighting: performance challenges and recent advances. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. , 4 , 1028 - 1040
- A. Laubsch , M. Sabathil , J. Baur , M. Peter , B. Hahn . High-power and high-efficiency InGaN-based light emitters. IEEE Trans. Electron Devices , 1 , 79 - 87
- X. Long , R. Liao , J. Zhou , Z. Zeng . Multiple-chip package embedded on compound board for light emitting diode. Electron. Lett. , 20 , 1142 - 1144
- J. Piprek . Efficiency droop in nitride-based light-emitting diodes. Phys. Status Solidi A , 10 , 2217 - 2225
- H. Kim , K.K. Kim , K.K. Choi , H. Kim , J.O. Song , J. Cho , K.H. Baik , C. Sone , Y. Park , T.Y. Sung . Design of high-efficiency GaN-based light emitting diodes with vertical injection geometry. Appl. Phys. Lett.
- S. Tanaka , Y. Zhao , I. Koslow , C.C. Pan , H.T. Chen , J. Sonada , S.P. DenBaars , S. Nakamura . Droop improvement in high current range on PSS-LEDs. Electron. Lett. , 5 , 335 - 336